1860-1878: Mainz: Verlag der Le Roux'schen Hochbuchhandlung ; 1879-<1884>: Mainz: Verlag und Expedition des "Israelit". ; <1885>-<1887>: Mainz: Druck und Verlag von Oscar Lehmann. ; 1890-<1904>: Mainz: Druck der Johann Wirth'schen Hofbuchdurckerei (Actien-Gesellschaft). ; <1907>-<1933>: Frankfurt am Main: Verlag des "Israelit".
Description: Issued during a period of increased secularization, growing assimilation, as well as religious reform, "Der Israelit" was for over almost eight decades the most significant publication of the German Jewish orthodoxy. Under the direction of its founder, the renowned rabbi and author Marcus Lehmann (1831-1890), "Der Israelit" was a tradition-conscious magazine that countered liberal-reform publications like the "Allgemeinen Zeitung des Judentums" (General Newspaper for Judaism), and its successor "CV-Zeitung." "Der Israelit was considered by its publisher to be a forum for all interests in every area of life related to German Judaism. After the old series of the monthly "Jeschurun" merged with "Der Israelit," Lehmann published a parallel Hebrew newsletter in 1871 and then a Yiddish newsletter in 1873. After the death of Lehmann in 1890, his son Oscar Lehmann (1858-1928) took over the direction of the magazine. (Source: Compact Memory, viewed online 4/14/2015) Editors: May 15, 1860-Apr. 3, 1890, Marcus Lehmann; Apri. 24, 1890-Dec. 14, 1905, Oscar Lehmann; Jan. 4, 1906-Feb. 27, 1908, Julius Lorsch; Mar. 5, 1908-Nov. 3, 1938, Selig Schachnowitz Various supplements accompany most issues
Dates of Publication: 1. Jahrgang, Nr. 1 (15. Mai 1860) - 79. Jahgang, Nr. 44 (5. Nov. 1938).
Digitized Holdings: Jg. 14, Nr. 1 (1873) - Jg. 60, Nr. 51 (1919) (INCOMPLETE)